Our dinner club gatherings are always a super fun evening and last night was no exception. What’s better than great friends, delicious food, and a fun theme? Oh how I love theme parties! Themes just give you something to work with and ensure everything flows from the food to the décor to the drinks and even the music. As you can see I enjoyed decorating our table to reflect last night’s Mexican theme, and when our guests walked in we also had mariachi music playing to help set the tone for the evening.
Now let’s talk about the food! One of the things I love about our dinner club is that it’s an excuse to go all out. It’s just not realistic for us to put together parties like this regularly, but when you know you’re scheduled to host dinner club once a year and the others will reciprocate it is well worth the effort. Here is what we served (and I promise to post some of the recipes next week!):
Sopes – Two Ways:
1. Homemade Refried Beans (yum!), Pico de Gallo, and Sour Cream
2. Guacamole, Crumbled Mexican Cheese, and Cilantro
Shrimp and Cucumber Ceviche with Fried Plantains
Pork Carnitas Tacos with Homemade Corn Tortillas and Tomatillo Salsa
Mango Margarita Pops with Flavored Mexican Chocolate
In addition to the food we also served margaritas (on the rocks), wine, and Mexican beer. And luckily it didn’t take too many drinks before everyone decided to try on their Mexican mustaches (pictured on place cards below)!
Along with all of the fun of course comes a lot of work. When hosting such an elaborate event we aim to do the following:
- Plan the menu weeks in advance
- Practice new recipes that we’ve never made before so we can make any necessary adjustments
- Purchase all groceries at least two days in advance
- Set up table and decor a day or two beforhand
- Prep cook the day before as much as possible including chopping, making sauces, preparing garnishes, etc.
- Welcome guests into a clean kitchen, which means running partially full loads of dishes early in the day
No matter how prepared we try to be though there always seems to be room for improvement whether it is having all your prep cooking completed before guests arrive, being showered and ready on time, having your kids settled, or ensuring each dish is served promptly and at the perfect temperature. We by no means pull all these things off flawlessly at our events, but we certainly have fun trying!