Just in case you aren’t feeling the spirit of autumn yet here’s one more reason to get you in the mood. Every year there’s lots of talk about Starbuck’s famed “Pumpkin Spice Latte,” but why leave the kids out of all the fun? I don’t know about you, but my children have not graduated to lattes quite yet, which is why I came up with this “Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate” drink for them instead. And since it has cocoa in it you can easily add a shot of espresso to turn it into an adult “Pumpkin Spice Mocha” (or Latte) as well…which means there is something for everyone. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (found in baking aisle of most stores)
- ¾ cup warm milk
- ½ teaspoon unsweetened dark cocoa or cacao (I personally love Hershey’s “special dark” cacao, which can also be found at most stores)
- Optional: Homemade whipped cream topping
- Mix together the honey, spice, and cacao or cocoa (if using).
- Add hot milk (and espresso if using).
- Top with optional homemade whipped cream and a dash of pumpkin spice or cinnamon. Serve immediately.