Okay, so I admit it. Frozen spinach is super convenient to use in recipes, but I can sometimes taste the difference between frozen and fresh (and I don’t mean in a good way). So I was pleasantly surprised when I recently tried mixing it directly into the cheesy goodness of this Spinach Lasagna dish and seriously could not taste any frozen flavors AT ALL. Not one bit. I don’t know if it was the cheese or maybe even the brand of spinach I bought, but either way – this recipe is here to stay because my family devoured it for both dinner and lunch the next day. Leftovers are the best when you’re cooking everything from scratch!
Sponsor Shoutout: Cascadian Farm Organic
Cascadian Farm is one of my go-to brands for frozen foods! I love their selection of 1-ingredient organic fruits for smoothies, muffins, pancakes, and even as a topping on my granola cereal, as well as their veggies for dishes like this one. Frozen produce is super nutritious since it’s picked at the peak of freshness, and it will also go easy on your wallet. For more ideas on how to incorporate frozen fruits and veggies into your routine, check out my recent list of 8 ideas for inspiration.
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (I used Cascadian Farm Organic brand and love that it’s already chopped for me!)
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (25 ounce jar) marinara sauce
- 8 ounces whole-wheat, no-boil lasagna noodles
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta, mozzarella, ¾ cup of the Parmesan, spinach, egg, and salt.
- In a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, spread ¾ cup sauce on the bottom. Layer a few of the noodles on top. Spread a third of the cheese mixture on top of that and then another ¾ cup sauce. Repeat layers until all ingredients are gone, ending with the sauce.
- Top with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes or until the noodles have completely softened. Let rest for 5 minutes, serve warm, and enjoy!