In case you haven’t noticed we not only took a 100-Day Real Food Pledge (two of them actually), but we’re also inviting readers to join the fun by taking a 10-day pledge. More than 800 people from around the world have signed up so far (yea!) by pledging to follow our very same food rules for a shorter amount of time. We developed the 10-day pledge because it is such an eye opening experience to live like this even if it is only for a week and a half. It forces you to read ingredient labels and reevaluate every single ounce of food that you put into your body. Our hope is that people will use their valuable 10-day pledge experience to help them decide what changes to make long term. Living by the rules is just to teach a lesson…our intention is not for people to follow them for life because, thankfully, eating the “bad stuff” in moderation is okay!
So anyway, I have a ton of feedback that pledges have written on their “graduate” forms, and I can’t believe I’ve waited this long to share what they are saying. It’s about time you had a chance to hear how all this real food business is affecting someone other than my family members. Reading some of these comments seriously gave me chills, and I hope you enjoy them just as much as I did. And I also hope they make you think about taking the 10-day pledge yourself, or at the very least carefully consider what you are buying the next time you shop for food.
Without further ado, and in no particular order, here is some of the very cool feedback that we’ve received from our pledges so far….
- “This was the best ‘diet’ I have ever done and the only one where I haven’t cheated. But now I don’t really think of it as a diet, so much as a lifestyle. This is how I’m going to be eating from now on. I had a mini breakdown yesterday and tried curing it with a Kit Kat bar. It was disgusting. All I could think about was how I was cheating on my fruit and that I should’ve had an orange instead.” – Coalville, UT
- “As a working mother of two small children, I find it difficult to prepare, cook, and store ‘real’ food for everyone in our family (including one child who appears to be allergic to everything in sight). However, with a little planning (actually, it took A LOT of planning), I was able to map out a week’s worth of meals and I discovered that we used to waste so much food. I’m now able to spend the same amount on groceries as before but this time I shop at Whole Foods Market and I get better-quality produce. I just don’t buy as much and we eat everything that we buy. The biggest thing I learned, however, is that eating healthy keeps you healthy…everyone in my office has been sick this winter season with the flu…except for me.” – Alexandria, VA
- “I learned that my idea of ‘healthy eating’ was very far from it. We all feel better. I feel more rested and don’t crave the 3 P.M. coffee to pick me up. My husband’s headaches are better and IBS is not a problem. Three-year-old doesn’t have constipation issues. My husband and I both lost about 8 pounds each.” – Lexington, KY
- “I have lost 2.5kgs, which is great! And I am feeling healthier in myself, especially when I am not eating so much junk. So here is to a healthier, more intentional me :)” – Cranebrook NSW, Australia
- “We finished the pledge about a week ago and my eleven year old has just asked if we can go back on it!! This is truly amazing since up until the pledge she hasn’t been a very healthy eater. She said that since going back to processed food her stomach hurts. (She can’t wait to get her bracelet.) As weird as this sounds, my skin felt so much cleaner during the challenge. I guess my body had ‘detoxed’. Cutting out sugar and white flour was huge for us!!” – Jacksonville, NC
- “Like you mentioned the kids ‘poop’ is a lot more regular. We all FEEL a lot healthier.” – Destrehan, LA
- “I am definitely going to keep real food as a staple in my eating plan. I am going to start reading labels and I am going to try to get my family on the same plan. Thank you for having so much information on your site to help people like me who have been jaded by the diet industry to stay away from things that are actually healthier to eat (butter, juice, etc). They tell us that eating all this processed food, prepackaged frozen dinners, and margarine are better for us because they don’t have trans fat, lower in calories, and fat-free or sugar free….but they add a lot of unwanted things to make them taste good. I feel like I’ve been lied to and feel stupid for not paying attention to labels sooner.” – Owasso, OK