Okay, just to be clear upfront – it takes only 5 minutes to stir up the batter for these homemade brownies, but of course a little longer than that to actually bake them!
But as I was making this batch I was thinking how it really doesn’t take much longer to make brownies from scratch than it does to add some eggs and other stuff to one of these lovely boxes of brownie mix pictured down below.
So while homemade Fudge Brownies (with sugar) don’t quite fit our definition of real food, I think we can all agree they’re WAAAAY better than this highly processed factory-made stuff that’s full of partially hydrogenated oil (i.e. trans fat), refined flour, high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors and a bunch of other additives I can barely pronounce and therefore would most definitely not cook with at home. And we all know most people like to have a good ol’ fudge brownie on occasion. :)
My Go-To Chocolate Chips: Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
Whether it’s brownies you’re after or just a handful of chocolate chips, I love using the brand Enjoy Life Foods. Their company has managed to make chocolate chips (and morsels, minis, and chunks!) solely using the ingredients that are meant to be in chocolate: Sugar (Cane Juice), Natural Chocolate Liquor, and Non-Dairy Cocoa Butter.
This is unfortunately no small feat in our industrial society – when you look at the back of most other chocolate chip packages you’ll find ingredients that do not belong (such as Soy Lecithin and Artificial Flavoring)! Since Enjoy Life’s chocolate chips are so pure, they are also incredibly allergy friendly including: Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Egg Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, and Shellfish Free.
I love that and knew you would, too. :)
5 Minute Fudge Brownies (with sugar)!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour I used white whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder I highly prefer the “super dark” variety
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter melted, plus a little extra for greasing
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life mini chips, see note above)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 8X8 or 9X9 square baking dish with a little melted butter (a pastry brush makes this job super easy).
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Make a well (hole) in the center and drop in the butter, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix together thoroughly and then fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula. (See I told you this would be quick and easy!)
- Add the brownie batter to the baking dish and use the spatula to flatten out the top into one even layer. Bake for about 30 minutes and let cool before slicing into squares (if you can control yourself enough to wait – ha)! Enjoy.