I’ve been waiting all year to have fresh red tomatoes in my backyard, but this green tomato relish recipe is SO incredibly delicious that I didn’t even think twice about plucking some off the vines before they could even ripen. I occasionally get obsessed with certain recipes, and my friends – this is one of them! I don’t think it’s a secret that I am also slightly obsessed with the crock-pot refried bean recipe and let me tell you those beans are suddenly reinvented when topped with this relish (in addition to the standard melted cheese and sour cream of course). Not that I haven’t been caught just eating this relish by the spoonful. :) Can you tell I am smitten?
Anyway due to all the chopping and simmering this recipe will require several hours of your time from start to finish, which isn’t a common theme with my recipes so I wanted to be sure to point that out. If you aren’t into the “canning” thing you can easily shave off some time by simply freezing the end results. Either way you won’t regret it…yum! Also, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that I was introduced to this recipe at my canning class with Ashley Eller earlier this year. Thank you Ashley!
If you are new to canning be sure to check out my honey strawberry jam tutorial for some detailed instructions, but in short you will need:
- Canning pot with or without a rack (a dish towel can also be used to separate jars from bottom)
- Canning jars with either new or reusable lids (we like the freezable kind with no “shoulders”)
- Canning utensils including a jar lifter, funnel, bubble remover/headspace tool, and magnetic lid lifter
- Clean dish towels
- Sterilized tongs and ladle
- A digital or analog scale
- Optional: Thermometer and dissolvable canning labels (I love these labels…no more peeling off old masking tape!)
Also, please note it’s imperative that the rules of canning are always followed to a “T” in order to prevent spoilage or harmful bacteria in your end product!
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but 100 Days of Real Food will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us spread our message!