It’s time to share the results of our first ever Facebook School Lunch Photo Contest! I have to start by saying you guys are amazing. I loved seeing how many of you out there are putting so much love (and good food!) into your children’s lunches. And I loved how all the pictures show that anyone can do this (not just some blogger!). I really hope it encourages others who aren’t quite there yet because it’s never too late to start in my opinion. :)
So I had the super duper tough job of picking only 3 winners who will each get a brand new PlanetBox Shuffle Complete Set by the way! And just as a reminder, to be eligible to win the packed lunch had to follow our real food rules. Here are the lucky winners (in no particular order)…
The Top Three Winners!
- Dana M. Huber: “Tuesday is our local health food store produce delivery day, so our fridge is well stocked with produce and that means it’s almost all fresh fruits and veggies for lunch today. Spinach, strawberry, raisins and olive oil salad with a slice of provolone and avocado. Carrots, snap peas and cherry tomatoes, grapes, sliced apples and peanut butter. All organic produce except the “natural” peanut butter. water to drink.”–
- Monica Mckinley: “My 7th grader got a quinoa veggie salad (red bell pepper, cucumber, kalamata olives, garbanzo beans and feta with a lemon olive oil dressing) plain whole yogurt with a homemade berry sauce and almonds and sunbutter under the apple slices, for dipping.”–
- Angela F. Farhat: “My daughter is 2 1/2 and it was her first day of preschool yesterday. She took with her a boiled egg, a slice of organic cheddar cheese, organic peaches and organic cucumbers with a home made whole wheat strawberry banana mini muffin (from your recipe index).
She gobbled it up and when we asked what her favorite part of school was she said ‘lunch’ lol.”–
[If you have not done so already please email us with your mailing address so we can send you your prize.]
A Few Runner Ups…
I just thought it would be fun to share a few more of the lunches that caught my eye (although I am sorry I have no formal prizes for these). Keep up the great packing job guys!
- Myra Simpson: “Filipino Rice Noodles with broccoli slaw, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, blueberries, and dragon fruit.”
- Stephanie Walla Stevens: “This is what all 3 kids got today. Whole wheat waffle defrosted from the freezer (recipe from 100 Days of Real Food) with cream cheese and homemade canned strawberry jam (recipe from Deliciously Organic). Almonds and pistachios. Bacon (they requested it and like it nice and crispy). Nectarines, strawberries and blueberries with a little bento pick. Carrots and cucumbers (picked from our garden last night) cut up into shapes. Hooray! Have a great day everyone!”
- Liv Van Dyke: “No school today for Rosh Hashanah so I made the kids a favorite home lunch: Rainbow Muffin Tin Lunch served with mini-forks (the big thrill!).
Left to right, top to bottom:
Strawberries :: Raspberries :: Yellow Cherry Tomatoes :: Hummus :: Cheddar Cheese :: Green Beans :: Dill Pickles :: Avocado :: Blueberries :: Dried Cherries :: Roasted Cashews :: Gardenburger Pieces”
- Rachel M. Coleman: “aaah! my kids and i are so excited too. owl moon bento. with: blueberries + provolone moon. purple citrus kale salad + radish stars. herbed turkey and avocado sandwich + bell pepper feet + cheese and nori eyes + carrot beak.”
A big thank you to everyone who entered for your participation. I hope to do it again sometime soon…maybe next time I can snag some prizes for our International friends as well. :)