These powerballs make a great little snack or treat. There are two versions…
1. The Chocolate/Peanut Version (pictured):
I recently bought my first bar of unsweetened chocolate (100% cacao)…and to steal vocabulary from my 5-year-old, it tasted disgusting! However, in some magical way the combination of ingredients in this recipe below make the cacao taste like “regular” chocolate. I have to thank a 100 Days of Real Food reader for introducing me to a version of this recipe. I would have never thought to put these items together and now we can’t stop eating them!
- ¾ cup tree nuts (I used pecans)
- ¾ cup dried pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (an all natural PB is recommended - the only ingredient necessary is crushed peanuts)
- 3 tablespoons 100% cacao (unsweetened chocolate bar – Ghiradelli makes one that I found at 2 different grocery stores in the baking section)
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor and blend.
- Form into balls (makes about 10 - 12 depending on size) and serve immediately or keep refrigerated.
- For a slightly different variation without peanut butter check out the chocolate torte recipe.
2. The Peanut/Honey Version:
This recipe is from a friend of a friend and you can get creative with adding extras.
- 1 cup peanut butter (an all natural PB is recommended - the only ingredient necessary is crushed peanuts)
- 1 cup honey
- 3 cups rolled oats (oatmeal)
- 1 cup of nuts or dried fruit (or whatever your heart desires)
- Crushed nuts, granola cereal or unsweetened coconut
- Mix the first four ingredients together thoroughly.
- Form them into balls (makes about 10 - 12 depending on size) then roll them in the crushed nuts, granola cereal, or unsweetened coconut.
- Serve or refrigerate.