Yes, I know…. Easter is only one day a year so “let kids be kids!” Well, guess what? I think kids can still be kids with sidewalk chalk and new games and bubbles and water balloons and craft supplies and even their very own gardening tools! There are way too many holidays and “special” occasions centered around junk food these days (which, frankly, isn’t so great for our kids’ health). So how about shifting the focus when you’re the one in control?
Here are some fun candy-free Easter ideas that your kid will love plus what we do for our own kids on Easter morning every year – in both news clip and text form (just below).
FYI – There is an Easter Bunny spoiler alert in the video so don’t watch it with your kids!
Technical Note: If you wish to turn off closed captioning, click the little “CC” icon at the bottom right before pressing play.
12 Candy-Free Easter Basket Themes:
I love to give items that I would probably buy them anyway!
- Summer (in a sand bucket)
- Bathing suit
- Flip flops
- Diving sticks
- Sidewalk chalk
- Water balloons
- Thermos bottle
- Watering can
- Shovel and other gardening tools
- Seed packets
- Gardening shoes
- Bug catcher
- Trip or overnight camp
- Arts and craft supplies
- Paint brushes
- Colored pencils or markers
- Coloring books or paper
- Patterned duct tape
- Yarn or crochet set
- Play Doh
- Sports or outdoor toys
- Jump Rope
- Soccer (or other sport) ball
- New books
- Flash cards
- Baking and kitchen tools (of their own!)
- Lego set(s)
- Dress-up clothes (or superhero costumes and accessories)
- New school lunch supplies (why not?)
- American Girl (or other doll) accessories
- Rainbow Loom set
Some SMALL ideas to put inside plastic Easter eggs:
- Clues on paper (to make a scavenger hunt with their Easter basket surprise at the end)
- Silly bands or rainbow loom bands
- Earrings or other small jewelry
- Puzzle pieces (try jumbo eggs for this one)
Now, if you still have your heart set on giving your child food this Easter…
Some “better for you” food ideas to consider:
- Whole-wheat bread bunny (from Great Harvest – featured in video)
- Unreal candy
- Fruit leathers or fruit bites (healthier fruit snacks)
- Other homemade goodies such as muffins
What are your candy-free ideas for Easter? I’d love to hear them in the comments!