By blog team member, Kiran. To learn more about Kiran, check out our team page!
We all have go-to recipes we turn to on busy nights when we don’t have time to cook. Or nights when we just don’t feel like cooking. This Easy Mexican Chicken is one of ours.
My husband and I came up with this recipe back when we were dating. Yeah, that’ll take us back 16 years ago – yikes! It was a go-to for us because we always had most ingredients on hand, and it was always one that we could tweak with minor changes. It’s basic upon basic, I know. I mean, if you can rip open a bag and open a can, you’re halfway there! So we came up with these silly names for it to make it sound fancier than it really is – El Pollo was one and Chicken Especial was another. Ah, the dating days …
Sponsor Shoutout: Valley Fresh
Back then, we used whatever canned chicken we could find. I had yet to learn about the importance of organic, real food and did not even realize until last year there is now an organic canned chicken option from our sponsor Valley Fresh! Part of what makes it a better product is that it has minimal ingredients – three to be exact: chicken, water, and sea salt. You won’t find any unwanted preservatives or artificial ingredients. The product is certified USDA Organic, and the cans are BPA free. It comes in 5-ounce and 10-ounce cans and is so versatile. Lisa created a chicken salad recipe with it, and you can substitute it in most recipes that call for shredded or chunks of chicken. Find a store that carries it near you and let us know what you think!
In the meantime, I hope you’ll try this recipe, and I’d love to hear what you did with it. Did you make nachos out of it? Serve it atop a bed of greens? Make some tasty burritos out if it? Comment below and let me know if you love this classic as much as my hubs and I do.
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 10 ounces Valley Fresh organic canned chicken, drained (see note)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheese (optional)
- For serving: whole grain tortillas, rice, or tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or cast iron pan. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add corn and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, and black beans and cook for 4 - 5 minutes with an occasional stir.
- Add cheese and cook to combine for one minute.
- Serve on tortillas, with rice, or on tortilla chips.
2. Dairy free if cheese is omitted.
3. Gluten free if served with gluten-free tortillas, chips, or rice.
4. We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.