This Braised Asian Meatballs and Cabbage dinner is the epitome of quick. You can pull it together in just 15 or 20 minutes with only a handful of dirty dishes left for you when you’re done. Now that’s my kind of busy weeknight meal, and with the start of school coming up soon, I know we’ll all need plenty of those at our disposal!
Plus, with the cabbage mixed in with the meatballs and the whole thing served over whole-grain rice noodles, it definitely qualifies as a one-dish meal. I hope your family enjoys this one as much as mine does!
Braised Asian Meatballs and Cabbage
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ginger peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 large green cabbage trimmed and sliced (or 1 whole small green cabbage)
- 1 cup chicken broth or veggie broth
- brown rice noodles cooked according to package directions (for serving)
- green onions sliced, optional garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, use your hands to combine the pork, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Form into golf ball sized meatballs and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan (with sides and a lid), heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Brown the meatballs on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook while stirring for another minute or two until it begins to wilt.
- Pour in the broth, cover with the lid, and cook until the meatballs are done all the way through (no longer pink on the inside), another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer for another minute or two so the liquid can reduce slightly. Pour over rice noodles, garnish with green onions, and serve warm.
2. Coconut is not a tree nut. However, if you have a tree nut allergy, consult your doctor before consuming.
3. We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.