I’m all about increasing our veggie consumption without having to try too hard. So that’s why I love this twist on one of our most favorite family meals – Spaghetti and Meatballs! Now we’re all about our regular meatballs made with meat, but just to switch things up (and make sure we get a good dose of veggies!) we’re loving this new zucchini version as well. I hope your family enjoys it just as much as mine did.
Cheesy Zucchini "Meatballs"
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet with oil.
- Cut the mozzarella into 12 equal sized square pieces and set aside.
- Shred zucchinis using a food processor or hand cheese grater. Use a clean kitchen towel to wrap up the shredded zucchini and squeeze as much liquid as you can out of it (and discard).
- In a large bowl mix together the shredded zucchini, eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, basil, garlic, and salt until well combined.
- It's time to form the "meatballs." Take a handful of the zucchini mixture, shove one of the mozzarella squares in the middle, then form it into a "meatball" with the mozzarella completely covered on the inside. Squeeze the "meatball" together tightly and discard any additional excess liquid. Repeat with remaining ingredients and place on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Serve warm over noodles with red sauce and (if desired) garnish with additional Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!