Spaghetti is a super easy go-to weeknight meal that I am so thankful for when everyone is hungry and I just don’t have the time (or energy!) to follow a recipe. BUT I’ve quickly learned this spaghetti bolognese adds a lot more flavor for not too much additional effort, so it’s quickly becoming one of our new favorites. My husband said he thought the addition of the wine in the sauce really helped with the canned tomato flavor he sometimes notices and isn’t too fond of (I’ve honestly never noticed it myself). How about putting this dish into your rotation next week and coming back to let us know what you think? It would be perfect with a big Caesar salad on the side – enjoy!
Easy Weeknight Spaghetti Bolognese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 ounces prosciutto diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated, + more for serving
- whole-grain noodles cooked, for serving
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat and cook the beef while breaking it up with a spatula until almost all the way brown, about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add in the prosciutto, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, red pepper, and nutmeg and cook while stirring for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine and cook for another minute while scrapping the bottom of the pan.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and paste to the pan, stir until well combined, and bring up to a light boil. Lower down to a simmer and cook for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to the pan, season with additional salt and pepper if necessary, and serve warm over cooked whole-grain noodles.