Everything is more fun on a stick, right? Well, that’s what I thought then I confirmed my suspicion as I sat and watched my family (yes, my husband included) practically fight over the last two of these chicken skewers the other night. Before my girls even knew what this dish was called they desperately needed more of “those things.” And the best part was that it took me no time at all to put this fancy-looking dinner together, which means it’s definitely “good enough” for company!
Coconut Chicken Satay
- 1 lb chicken breasts preferably locally and/or organically raised
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon lime juice plus 1 extra teaspoon (freshly squeezed)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 jalapeño seeds and stem removed (use the other half to make some overnight refried beans…yum!)
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes lightly toasted (note: coconut can burn quickly and needs to be stirred/checked frequently while toasting…we do ours in the toaster oven for no more than 2 or 3 minutes)
- Preheat the oven broiler on high.
- Soak skewers in water if you don’t want them to cook/burn in the oven (I didn’t because I like to skip steps).
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips and thread them onto about a dozen skewers. Place the prepared skewers on a foil-lined baking sheet and set aside (you can stick them in the fridge if you’d like).
- In a food processor or blender puree the peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, jalapeno, and chili powder together. Remove ¼ cup of the peanut mixture and drizzle/brush it over the raw chicken skewers.
- Place chicken under the broiler to cook. After 4 – 5 minutes take the baking sheet out, turn the skewers over, drizzle another ¼ cup peanut sauce on top, and cook for 4 or 5 more minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- Once the chicken is done take it out, drizzle on the remaining peanut sauce (or serve it as extra dipping sauce on the side), and sprinkle the toasted coconut on top.
Serve warm and enjoy!