I’ve got a “one dish” meal for you today that can be ready in no time at all! So warm up with this flavorful kale, sausage and white bean soup before the spring weather is here to stay. And if you’re up for it – double the recipe so you can freeze the leftovers for a rainy day. You’ll thank yourself later. :)
Easy Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound sausage Italian, cut into chunks about 3/4" to 1" in size
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 cans white beans drained and rinsed, like cannellini
- 1 teaspoon salt if using store bought broth add 1/2 teaspoon and taste test before adding more
- pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook while occasionally stirring for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sausage pieces to the pot and cook until the pieces are cooked all the way through (no longer pink), about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile strip and discard the big stems from the kale and cut the leaves into shreds (I like to use culinary scissors for this job). Add the broth (we use homemade), shredded kale, beans, salt and pepper to the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!