This skillet cornbread is super easy to make and would be a great compliment to so many dishes like chili, black eyed peas (or other beans), slow cooker pulled pork, tortilla soup, lentil soup (with sausage), split pea soup (with bacon), BBQ chicken or ribs, collard greens, or a big holiday dinner!
How do you love to eat your cornbread?
Simple Skillet Cornbread
- Preheat a 9 inch (seasoned) cast iron skillet in a 450 degree F oven for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Make a well (hole) in the center of the mixture and drop in the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Use a fork to mix the wet and dry ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet (I didn’t even take it out of the oven to do this), and bake until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Serve warm and freeze the leftovers for a rainy day!