I tried to think of a more creative name for this dish, but I guess the title just has to remain as simple as the recipe itself. This side item is the best combination of quick, easy, tasty, inexpensive, and in-season produce (at least here in North Carolina at the moment). I think the sweetness of the potatoes should please most kids…my daughters definitely thought it was a hit. Below is the basic recipe, but if you are a chef who likes to experiment I think it could also be good with a little cinnamon and a touch of honey. Don’t be afraid to get creative with it and enjoy!
Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 apples any variety
- ¼ cup apple juice (100% juice, all natural)
- Peel and thinly slice the sweet potato. You can leave the slices round or cut them into a half moon shape.
- Thinly slice the apple (no need to peel).
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a sauté pan that has a tight fitting lid.
- Throw the prepared potatoes into the pan and cook while stirring for a few minutes.
- Add the apple slices and cook for another minute or two.
- Keeping the heat on medium, pour in the apple juice, put on the lid, and steam until the liquid has almost evaporated. It should only take another couple of minutes. Serve warm.