I have to tell you that when I first set this Roasted Veggie and Ricotta Pizza down for dinner, my 9-year-old was not so sure. “Roasted zucchini and eggplant on a pizza? Why did you have to do that mom? Ugh, I don’t like roasted eggplant!” She thought she only liked eggplant breaded and pan fried. How can we blame her? (By the way, that super yummy recipe is on page 240 in my first cookbook, haha).
But, as I’ve shared before, when it comes to picky kids you simply cannot stop serving your child a food item just because they’ve previously claimed they don’t like it (you’ve gotta keep trying over and over again!). And this pizza is a perfect example of how all that effort can sometimes pay off in the end. I knew she didn’t like roasted eggplant the last time we had it, but she was hungry and even surprised herself with how much she liked it served this way on pizza! Converting picky eaters can take a lot of time and effort, but is often worth it in the end. :)
My Go-To Grain-Free Pizza Dough: Simple Mills
You can, of course, add these pizza toppings to any crust, but we were excited to once again try them with the grain-free almond flour/cauliflower pizza dough mix from Simple Mills. We are by no means a grain-free family, but it did feel kind of nice to know we were getting extra veggies into our system from the crust. And it tastes great, too. Plus, I love how super easy and simple this crust is to make. It only took a couple minutes to mix it up, and since it’s grain-free, no rise time is necessary! This is truly a great last-minute dinner idea that’s a healthy choice, too.
Roasted Veggie and Ricotta Pizza
- 1 eggplant trimmed and cut into 1/2" dice
- 1 zucchini trimmed and cut into 1/2" dice
- 2 shallots peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 batch pizza dough I used Simple Mills*
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 handful basil fresh, leaves only, sliced
- parmesan cheese freshly grated, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- On a baking sheet, toss together the eggplant, zucchini, shallots, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Roast until veggies begin to brown and are tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 - 25 minutes. Transfer veggies to a bowl and set aside.
- Change oven temperature according to directions for pizza dough. Roll out the dough into one large rectangle and place on the same baking sheet used for the veggies. Fold over a crust around the edges and pinch down with a fork. Pre-bake dough if pizza crust recipe calls for it.
- Smear the pizza sauce in one even layer on top of the dough. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and then about half the veggies (save the rest of the veggies for another day. I figured it's better to be left with cooked veggies than half a raw eggplant and zucchini!).
- Add the ricotta in dollops on top and bake according to pizza crust directions. At the end, broil on high for 1 minute to brown the ricotta.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and Parmesan cheese and serve.