This new recipe is at the top of the list when it comes to quick and easy (and tasty)! Not only is there no precooking required, but there’s no chopping either! You literally just dump a few items into the slow cooker, turn it on to cook, and – voila! – just one small set of measuring spoons left to clean. Not to mention it was even easier to serve this finished dish over brown rice (love those little bags of the pre-cooked stuff) with a few colorful items on top. This dish was a big hit with the family. I think I’ll be doubling this recipe next time for more leftovers! :)
Slow Cooker Green Salsa Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 12 ounce jar tomatillo salsa , or about 1 1/3 cups homemade (I like Trader Joe's brand) or other salsa verde
- brown rice
- Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- avocado, sliced
- sour cream
- jalapeño, sliced (if you like spice!)
Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the oregano, cumin, salt and pepper on top. Pour in the beans, corn and salsa and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
Spoon over brown rice (we used 2 bags of pre-cooked rice) and top with cheese, avocado, sour cream, cilantro and diced jalapenos.
Dairy-free if optional sour cream and cheese are omitted.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.