This Greek yogurt-based sauce is incredibly simple to make and versatile. It is traditionally served with souvlaki and gyros, but we think there are many more possibilities beyond these dishes. Tzatziki can be used as a dip for veggies and whole-wheat pretzels (instead of bottled ranch dressing) or as sauce to pour over chicken. It’s also good thrown into a whole-wheat wrap or pita with vegetables like cucumber and tomatoes. We’ve even mixed it together with whole-wheat couscous and feta cheese…so get creative and enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups plain yogurt (preferably the whole-milk variety, but any type will work)
- ½ large cucumber, grated with a cheese grater
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon of dried dill)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Can be served immediately, but it is even better if you let it sit for a few hours or overnight before serving.