One thing is for certain – croutons are just all around good stuff. And thankfully homemade croutons are super easy to make with whole-wheat sandwich bread and SO yummy. Talk about an extra special and unexpected addition to your dinner salad. My kids go nuts over these things, and I honestly have to do what I can to stop them from just eating this crunchy goodness plain so we can actually enjoy them in our salad with dinner!
- 6 pieces of good quality whole-wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups worth)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a large baking sheet, spread out the bread cubes into one layer. Evenly sprinkle the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt over top. Then drizzle the olive oil over top as well.
- Using your hands, toss to combine thoroughly and then spread back into one even layer.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown. The croutons will harden as they cool. For maximum crispiness, use right away rather than storing for another day.