If you’re a “real food beginner” I’ve got a super easy project for you this summer… have your family follow this simple meal plan for an entire day and you’ll have officially avoided all highly processed food! I even added a suggestion for picky ones who won’t eat the salad for lunch. :)
This 1-day starter plan for a family of 4 is a wonderful way to “get your feet wet” and see how easy real food can be. It’s so easy you could even get your shopping done today and start tomorrow. I even included a free printable version at the bottom. I can’t wait to hear how it goes!
MENU FOR 4 PEOPLE
Easy Real Food Breakfast
- Quick Oatmeal with Raisins and Almonds
You can choose between overnight oats, which you’d need to mix up the night before, or hot oatmeal you can very quickly make in the morning. Both call for basically the same ingredients! If you don’t like oatmeal you can try Simple Yogurt Crunch, although the oatmeal ingredients are included in the shopping list below.
- Banana (or other fruit of your choice)
Easy Real Food Lunch
- Chopped Caprese Salad Over Fresh Spinach Topped with Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
Caprese is my favorite salad of all time and it really becomes a nice main dish when served over spinach. I love it with homemade pesto, but it’s an extra step that’s not at all necessary so I did not include those ingredients in the shopping list below. If you are serving finicky little ones substitute cooked whole wheat noodles for the spinach and go light on the vinegar.
- Whole Grain Crackers Dipped in Hummus (no recipe necessary)
My favorite store bought hummus is Trader Joe’s organic. If you can’t get that brand look for the next best option (by reading the ingredients) or go above and beyond and make your own! I did not include the ingredients to make your own in the shopping list.
Easy Real Food Snack
- Lara Bar
We love this sponsor of ours and on the shopping list you’ll find a list of the flavors that are made with 5 ingredients or less.
Easy Real Food Dinner
- Quick and Easy Fried (Brown) Rice
This is a super easy and inexpensive recipe! Feel free to add diced chicken if you don’t want to go meatless, although it’s not included in the shopping list below.
SHOPPING LIST FOR 4 PEOPLE
- 3 or 4 bananas (or other fruit of choice)
- 1 – ¾-ounce pack fresh basil leaves
- Garlic (need 2 cloves)
- About 1-inch fresh ginger
- 1 onion
- 5-ounce box fresh spinach
- 3 tomatoes
- Brown rice
- 4 Lara Bars: Flavors with 5 ingredients or less include Cashew Cookie (one of my favorites), Peanut Butter Cookie (my other favorite), Pecan Pie, Cherry Pie, Banana Bread, Cappuccino, Coconut Cream Pie, Key Lime Pie, Lemon Bar, Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Rolled oats (need 2 cups)
- Whole-grain crackers (Such as Ak-Mak brand crackers or woven wheat crackers by Back-to-Nature, Trader Joe’s or Triscuits)
- Cold and/or Frozen
- 1 – 10 ounce bag frozen mixed, chopped veggies (I like the “Chinese-style” mix for this recipe)
- Eggs (need 2)
- Milk (need 2 1/2 cups)
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella (I used 1 ½ – 8-ounce packs)
- Pantry Items
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Pure vanilla extract (store-bought or make your own)
- Soy sauce
- Toasted sesame oil
Click below for a FREE printable version of the shopping list and meal ideas (may not be visible on mobile devices)! Good luck :)