If you’re looking to add one more dish to your Fourth of July spread then search no more! Pasta salad is the perfect addition to a summer gathering because it can easily be made in advance and will stay fresh for days. It is also fairly easy to find 100% whole-wheat pasta, which means this dish is “real food” approved.
Rather than coming up with completely new recipes for pasta salad though I actually want to showcase two “older” 100 Days of Real Food recipes that can be reinvented by simply adding noodles. In addition to the Caprese Pasta Salad recipe below, give my Cucumber-Dill Pasta Salad a try, too.
Caprese Pasta Salad
- 8 oz whole-wheat pasta like penne, rigatoni, or macaroni (dry)
For the salad:
- 1 ½ cup tomatoes diced, any variety
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese diced
- 2 handfuls basil chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- balsamic vinegar to taste
Pesto with Extra Olive Oil:
- 1 cup basil (leaves removed from stem)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic loosely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Cook noodles according to package directions. Let them cool in fridge.
Chop and mix caprese salad ingredients. Combine and blend pesto ingredients together in mini chopper or food processor.
Mix everything together with noodles. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.