I’m discovering how much easier it is to make homemade crepes when there is a yummy filling inside. They last so much longer when it comes to my hungry family, therefore I don’t have to spend nearly as much time at the stove making them! We’ve had crepes with a sweet filling for dessert many times before, but this is the first time we’ve tried it with a savory filling inside for dinner. Chicken and spinach crepes for the win!
This recipe for chicken and spinach crepe rolls is not as delicate as others I’ve made, therefore it’s not hard to whip up and such a fabulous way to reinvent your chicken dinner. I love how portable and good they are leftover (in case you’re on the go!). This is one I’ll be making again and again.
Chicken and Spinach Crepe Rolls
Chicken & Spinach Filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk I used whole milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 cups spinach fresh, chopped or sliced
- 1 handful parsley fresh, chopped
- Parmesan cheese
For the Crepe Batter
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Cover and refrigerate while preparing the rest of the dish. You can also cook crepes right away, but the batter is a little easier to work with after a little refrigeration and time to rest.
For the Filling
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the onions, while stirring occasionally, until they soften and begin to darken in color, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the sliced chicken to the skillet along with the garlic and turn the heat up to medium-high. Cook, while stirring, until the chicken browns and is cooked all the way through (no longer pink in the middle), another 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top and stir until it's completely absorbed. Pour in the milk and cook while scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan until the sauce thickens to the consistency of a gravy. Stir in the parmesan cheese and turn off the heat. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Toss the spinach and parsley together in a separate bowl and set aside.
For the Crepes and Assembly
- Heat a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Lift the pan off the stove and angle it so you can pour a few tablespoons of crepe batter on one side. Carefully swirl it around, so it covers the pan in one even thin layer.
- As soon as it begins to turn golden brown on the bottom/edges and shakes loose (45 to 60 seconds), flip it over. Cook another 30 to 60 seconds then slide onto a plate.
- Spoon the chicken mixture down the middle, sprinkle with a small handful of the spinach and parsley, and roll up with the seam side down. Repeat with remaining batter and filling, garnish with extra parmesan and greens if desired, and serve warm.
Here are pictures of each step of cooking the crepes. Click if you wish to enlarge…