Want to Save this Recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
We served this Cinnamon Apple Crisp dessert to our Dinner Club guests last weekend. And since we used up every last minute of prep cooking time (before the guests arrived) working on the appetizers and main dishes, I found myself starting from scratch with this dessert at the end of the night. This was after a long day, and, to top it off, this was a dish I’d never even made before.
I usually only serve guests recipes that I know will turn out well, but lately I’ve been more lax in that department for some reason. You just never know when you are going to have a recipe fail! But thankfully I learned it’s hard to screw up apples, butter, sweetener, oats, and nuts all baked together in cute little jars of goodness. Clearly the only reason I wanted to serve this dessert in the first place was for an excuse to buy those jars!
The rest of our evening was (thankfully) a lot less spontaneous. Here’s what we served:
“Southern Small Plates” Dinner Club Menu
- Boiled Peanuts: I previously thought this might be a complicated recipe when in fact it’s just peanuts that have been boiled! It does take quite a few hours and you certainly don’t want to forget the salt and other seasonings, but this one is super simple.
- Organic Pimento Cheese: I used the recipe that’s already on my blog for this appetizer.
- Local Fried Green Tomatoes: This recipe came out of Joy of Cooking (my cookbook bible).
- Organic Kale and Apple Salad: Coming to the blog soon!
- Whole-Wheat Biscuits and Jam: This is another recipe that’s already on my blog. I just made them into a bite-sized version and served with butter and storebought all fruit jam.
- NC Shrimp and Grits: We went out of our way to ensure we had fresh, local, wild caught shrimp for this dish instead of any questionable seafood shipped in from China!
- Local Pulled Pork and Slaw: The pork was also purchased from a local vendor and this recipe will be coming to the blog soon as well! I’ve actually been working on this one for a while and finally got the results I was hoping for. :)
- Organic Apple Crisp with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream: Get this easy crisp recipe below! And for the ice cream I loosely followed this recipe (without the pecan topping).
Are you part of a “Dinner Club” as well? How does yours work? I’d love to hear the details in the comments!