Converting grams to ounces is easy when you know how! Do you need to switch between grams and ounces when following a recipe?
This article will guide you through the world of conversions and measurements. This easy conversion is great for cooking, baking, and measuring.
Want to Save this Recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
What is a Gram?
In the kitchen, grams are really great to use as a unit of measurement. Even the tiniest amounts of ingredients (like salt and baking powder) can be weighed out accurately when using grams.
A gram is the base unit of mass in the metric system. It is a universal way of measuring mass. Grams are used across various fields of work, like culinary, pharmaceuticals, chemistry, and jewelry.
Additionally, it acts as a standard unit of measurement in many countries.
What is an Ounce?
An ounce is an important unit of measurement in the culinary world. It is mainly used in the US system to quantify the mass and weight of ingredients and foods.
Ounces are used beyond the kitchen. They can be found in industries like medicine, precious metals, and chemistry.
One ounce roughly equals 28.35 grams.
Check out How Many Ounces in a Pint too!
Convert Grams to Ounces
Switching from grams to ounces is easy. Use the conversion factor of 1 gram equal to 0.03527 ounces.
For example, 50 grams would convert to 50g x 0.03527 = 1.7635 ounces. Using a digital scale equipped for conversions is another straightforward method.
If success in baking is the goal, use these practical tips for precise measurements. These tips are great whether your recipe is in ounces or grams:
- Use a clean kitchen scale for accurate measurements. The scale should be set upon an even surface. Begin by placing a container on the scale. Next, zero it out before weighing the ingredients.
- Measure dry ingredients separately from wet ones. This will keep everything clean and neat. There is nothing worse than needing to wash equipment between every weighing session.
- Maintain consistency: Stick to either grams or ounces throughout the entire recipe.
- Pre-calculate conversions before starting to cook or bake.
- Weighing the ingredients precisely will help achieve the best results.
- Follow the ingredient order specified in the recipe method.
Table with Conversions From Grams to Ounces
Here is a quick chart to refer to:
Table with Conversions from Ounces to Grams
Print this out and put it up in the kitchen to refer to:
Equipment for Measuring
Measuring grams and ounces accurately in the kitchen is important to achieve excellent results in cooking and baking.
A variety of kitchen equipment is available to help measure ingredients precisely.
Here are some of the standard tools used to measure grams and ounces in the kitchen:
- Kitchen scale:
- Digital kitchen scale: This is one of the most accurate tools for measuring both grams and ounces. It displays measurements on an electronic screen, making it easy to read. Digital scales come in different weight capacities and often have a tare function. The tare function lets you reset the scale to zero after placing a container on it. This means you can measure just the ingredients’ weight.
- Mechanical kitchen scale: These scales use a balance mechanism and a needle or pointer to indicate the weight. They are less common today but can still be found in some kitchens.
- Measuring cups: These are often used for measuring dry ingredients like flour, sugar, and grains. Most measuring cups have markings for both ounces and milliliters. To measure grams accurately, it’s important to use a scale or convert the volume measurement to weight if possible.
- Balance beam scales: These are traditional scales with a beam and sliding weights. While they are not as often anymore, they can still work well. These scales were very popular two generations ago.
- Conversion charts: Conversion charts or tables (like the one provided earlier) can help you convert between grams and ounces when precise measurements are not required. They are handy references in the kitchen. A great idea is to print out charts and have them up on the fridge.
- Digital apps: Some people use mobile apps with measurement conversions. These apps allow you to quickly convert between various units, including grams and ounces. They can be really handy!
Imperial System Versus Metric System
These two measurement systems, the Imperial and the Metric, are the two ways weight and volume can be measured.
The Metric system (aka the International System of Units) uses grams, milliliters, and liters. They are a standard in most of the world, especially in scientific contexts.
Conversely, the Imperial system uses ounces and fluid ounces, mainly used in the US, Liberia, and Myanmar.
When working with recipes from an unfamiliar measuring system, some extra time might be necessary to work out the conversions.
Be sure to check out How Many Ounces in a Pound for more helpful conversions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
There are about 28.35 grams in one ounce.
One gram is roughly equal to 0.03527 ounces.
One ounce of butter is approximately equal to 28.35 grams.
One ounce of water is also about the same as 28.35 grams. The conversion is the same as for any other ingredient.
One ounce of flour is approximately equivalent to 28.35 grams, just like any other ingredient.
Grams are usually measured using a scale, precisely a kitchen scale. This tool provides accurate measurements in grams. Measuring cups and spoons can also be used to measure grams, but this method is less accurate than a scale.
You May Also Enjoy
- How Many Cups in a Pound
- How Many Pints in a Gallon
- Teaspoons in a Tablespoon
- How Many Tablespoons in an Ounce
- How Many Tablespoons in a Cup
If you enjoyed this post, please leave a rating and comment! For more inspiration, check out my Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. For 5 free weekly meal plans and more free resources, sign up to receive my free newsletter!
Enjoy this comprehensive guide for converting grams to ounces and ounces to grams!