I’m a big fan of getting kids in the kitchen, and summers and weekends are the optimal times to do just that. So, today I’m sharing a recipe that’s perfect to get your kids cooking—Peanut Butter Banana Stuffed French Toast. What’s that, you don’t have kids? Or just want to make this yourself? Go for it! This is a winner for yummy breakfast recipe lovers, regardless of age.
Sure, french toast is fun, but I found that stuffing it with peanut butter & banana ups the ante. The peanut butter & banana get all warm and gooey when enclosed in two pieces of toasted bread … then you top it with some berries and warm maple syrup. Yum! I know you can just imagine how tasty this is. So let’s get to it—but first, let me offer some suggestions on getting your kids involved with this recipe.
Having Your Kids Help Cook
As a rule, there are some general thoughts to ages and abilities that I cover in Camp Kitchen, a week-long cooking camp that you do at home on your own time with your kids. For example:
- Kids 3 and under are perfectly capable of helping get out ingredients, scooping and dumping, stirring, and simply being around you while cooking.
- Ages 3-5 bring on new opportunities, including setting the table and washing fruits and vegetables.
- As kids get older, learning to read and follow directions and making measurements enter in.
I’m a big believer in teaching kids to cook. They say that healthy eating begins with cooking at home. Why not help get them started early?!
Ingredients Needed for Peanut Butter Banana Stuffed French Toast
- 2 pieces whole wheat bread
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- splash of milk
- dash of cinnamon
- berries to top French toast
- maple syrup
Easy substitutions for this kid-friendly recipe:
- Make it gluten-free by using gluten-free bread in lieu of whole wheat bread
- Can’t have nuts? Sub Sun-butter to make it nut-free.
- Change this up slightly by using a combo of cream cheese and jelly instead of PB & banana.
Check out how easy it is to make with your kids in this video!
Peanut Butter Banana Stuffed French Toast
- Spread the peanut butter on both pieces of the bread. Top one piece of bread with the sliced banana pieces. Place the other piece of bread, peanut butter side down, on top of the bananas like a sandwich.
- In a bowl, beat the egg. Add a splash of milk and dash of cinnamon and mix together. Place prepared "sandwich" in another bowl and pour egg mixture over it. Carefully turn it over to get both sides covered with the egg mixture.
- Heat the butter in skillet or frypan over medium heat. When warm, place the egg-covered sandwich on the heated pan. Fry until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side. Remove from pan and slice in half and serve with berries and maple syrup, if desired.