This recipe could go two ways. You could make this dish the next time you have guests over for brunch, especially since the mixture could be made and put into the muffin cups in advance. Or you could bake a big double batch this weekend and freeze them for those busy weekday mornings.
If you decide to freeze them with the foil muffin holders still on then you’ll be able to pop them right into the toaster oven. Or if you take the muffin holders off before freezing they’ll be microwave-ready. Either way, I do recommend taking them out of the freezer the night before so they can thaw out overnight.
Whatever you decide to do with this recipe though I don’t think you’ll be disappointed…it’s hard to go wrong with breakfast food!
Breakfast Casserole Bites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Distribute 12 foil muffin holders into a muffin baking pan. If the foil holders are lined with paper either don’t use those or make sure they are on the outside as shown in the picture.
- Cut the sandwich bread into half inch squares and evenly distribute them on the bottom of the muffin cups (as pictured).
- In a mixing bowl or large measuring cup that has a pour spout thoroughly whisk together the eggs and milk. Add a few dashes of salt and pepper if desired.
- Evenly distribute the egg mixture into each muffin cup. It’s okay if the bread pieces float to the top.
- Sprinkle an equal amount of both the grated cheese and the crumbled bacon (or sausage) into each muffin cup on top of the egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until eggs are set.
Enjoy or freeze (in-between sheets of wax paper) for another day!