If you are looking for creative ways to serve up vegetables, then this right here is your answer! Please do me a favor though and don’t lie to your reluctant eaters about the veggies in this dish. If you want to wait until after they gobble it up, that is fine, but make it known that the deliciousness in this soup is broccoli (and cheese and bacon of course!). And when cheese and bacon are involved, it’s hard to go wrong. :) Enjoy!
Broccoli Cheese Soup (with bacon!)
- 3 slices bacon cut into 1-inch pieces (locally sourced recommended)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 ¼ pounds broccoli cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth homemade recommended
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- bacon cooked, optional garnish
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, cook the bacon pieces until brown and crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and diced onion and allow it to cook and soften for another minute.
- Turn to medium-low, whisk in the flour, and cook while stirring for 1 to 2 minutes being careful not to let the flour burn.
- Add the broccoli pieces, broth, milk, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer on medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Blend until smooth with a hand immersion blender (or by transferring to a countertop blender in batches).
- Stir in the heavy cream and shredded cheese and serve warm. (You can freeze any leftovers.)