How about warming yourself up on this cold winter day with some hearty, rich mushroom vegetable soup? There are three reasons I love this recipe. (1) If you buy fresh mushrooms already sliced, it’s as “easy as pie” to make. (2) The barley that’s added turns this soup into a filling, one dish meal that you can eat for dinner without having to make anything else. (3) It’s just plain delicious!
Creamy Mushroom Vegetable Soup (with barley)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots minced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms fresh, sliced
- 1/2 cup whole grain barley
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (+ pepper, to taste) (if using homemade broth add more. If using store bought broth add less)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots, carrots, and celery and cook until softened but not brown, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms to the pot and cook while stirring for 5 minutes more.
- Add the barley, broth, salt, and pepper to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook until the barley is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and serve warm.
- Store the leftovers in the fridge or freezer.