I have clearly been on a slow cooker recipe kick lately! I just love those evenings when dinner is done (and even cleaned up minus the plates – or bowls in this case!).
Speaking of easy make-ahead meals, our sponsor, Once A Month Meals, is an expert in that department! They have mastered the art of making a month’s worth of meals (breakfast, lunch AND dinner) in just one day. It may sound too good to be true, but the reality is, if you follow their detailed guides, it can be done.
As one of their members, you will have access to recipe cards (serving size customizable), freezer directions, organized grocery lists, step-by-step cooking day instructions, and printable labels. Be sure to check out their “Whole Foods” and “Paleo” meal planning tracks.
Slow Cooker Red and Green Chili
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 bell peppers small, diced, any color
- 1 jalapeño minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef grass fed recommended (or ground pork, turkey, or venison)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 28-oz cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- sour cream
- cheese freshly grated
- In a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 6 or 7 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, jalapeño, and garlic to pan and cook while stirring occasionally for 4 to 5 more minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium, add the ground beef to the pan, and break it up with a spatula while cooking. Season the meat with the chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- After 4 or 5 minutes, once the meat has browned, add the mixture to the bottom of the slow cooker. Top it with the tomatoes, beans, and bay leaf. Turn slow cooker to high and cook for 4 or 5 hours.
- Serve warm with recommended toppings.