When I first heard about microwaving popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag I could not imagine that something so simple would really work. A blog reader actually shared this suggestion with me, and it took me a while to work up enough courage to try it out.
I am so glad I finally did because approximately 3 minutes and 15 seconds later I had fresh, fluffy, whole-grain popcorn that hadn’t been touched by a drop of oil, salt, sugar, or any other additives (like diacetyl – an artificial butter flavoring!). And after lightly seasoning it myself with a tad of oil and salt it was delicious!
I will never waste my money on those store-bought microwave bags ever again after giving this popcorn recipe a try.
The Popcorn Trick
- Pour the kernels into the brown paper bag.
- Tightly fold over the top three or four times. No tape or staples are necessary.
- Put it in the microwave and start it on high heat for 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Listen for the popping to slow down to 3 or 4 seconds apart at which point you will take it out of the microwave. This usually happens for me around the 3 minute and 15 second mark.
- Pour popcorn into a bowl and drizzle with melted butter or spritz with olive oil (or coconut oil) and then sprinkle with salt. If you don’t use oil or butter the salt won’t stick.Other topping ideas: cinnamon, cayenne pepper, freshly grated Parmesan cheese