I just love restaurant-quality meals that are simple enough to make at home, and this one is no exception! This is a fun twist on lettuce wraps that will impress your family (and company) for sure! Plus, since lentils are one of the fastest cooking pulses (see below) and it takes just minutes to cook shrimp, this could easily be a weeknight meal.
Shrimp and Lentil Lettuce Wraps
- 1/2 cup green lentils dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 4 green onions chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons ginger fresh, peeled and minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper red
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh
- cups Bibb lettuce for serving
- Combine the lentils with 1 1/2 cups water in a saucepan over high heat. Once it boils, turn down to a simmer and cook uncovered until the water is almost all the way evaporated and the lentils are tender, about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Sauté the green onions until they soften, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, lentils, ginger, and red pepper to the pan. Cook while stirring until the shrimp is pink and cooked all the way through, about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil and let cook down for a minute or two. Sprinkle on the cilantro, spoon into lettuce cups, and serve.
2. We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.