I’m excited to share a new recipe with you that I tweaked over and over again to get it right—Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala! It’s as close as I could get it to the super yummy Tikka Masala we recently had at an authentic Indian restaurant here in Charlotte (thanks to Vani for introducing it to us).
I came home and immediately put it on our meal plan so I could try making it myself. The first version was nothing like the restaurant version—all we could taste was a strong cinnamon and clove flavor, and we were not fans. So, I quickly determined I’d basically have to make my own garam masala spice mix that was a little milder. I got some advice from my cousin’s wife (who grew up on authentic Indian cuisine), and after a few more takes, finally got it pretty darn close!
As I recently mentioned, my 13-year-old is trying something new and no longer eating meat at the moment! Luckily she’ll still eat the sauce from a dish like this, even if the chicken was cooked in it. I guess it’s that or make your own dinner, LOL. So, I quickly sauteed some shiitake mushrooms for her to substitute for the chicken, and she loved it. The sauce is so good that I made sure to include plenty of extra on purpose … yum!
I hope you enjoy this one as much as we do! It’s hard not to love a recipe where all you have to do is dump it in the slow cooker and turn it on. Enjoy!
Other Indian Recipes You Might Enjoy
Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 pounds chicken breasts or thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1 small onion (or 1/2 large onion), diced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can plain tomato sauce
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons ginger peeled and freshly minced/grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- plain yogurt and brown rice for serving
- Place the raw chicken pieces in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with the diced onion, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic & spices, tomato paste, and honey. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Temporarily remove the chicken and shred it into bite-sized pieces. Add the cream to the slow cooker and use a hand-held immersion blender to blend the sauce until smooth, then stir the chicken back in with a spoon.
- Spoon the brown rice into bowls, top with chicken and sauce, plain yogurt, and cilantro, and serve.
Nutrition facts do not include rice and yogurt.