I’m always looking for easy slow cooker meals that my family likes, and this Slow Cooker Red Beans & Rice with Sausage recipe definitely fits the bill! This is a very filling dinner that’s especially great for larger families or for those who enjoy leftovers (like us!). You literally just put everything in the slow cooker and start it (no pre-cooking necessary). It doesn’t get much easier than that!
My husband’s family is from New Orleans, and we missed getting to go visit for Mardi Gras this year. But at least we can enjoy the flavors of the Big Easy at home with this new easy recipe. Enjoy!
Other New Orleans Inspired Recipes You Might Enjoy
Slow Cooker Red Beans & Rice (with sausage)
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans rinsed
- 1 pound andouille sausage (raw), cut into 1" to 1 1/2" pieces
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded, cored and diced
- 3 stalks celery trimmed and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- brown rice
- fresh chives or green onions for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on high until the beans are tender, 7 to 8 hours. Serve over brown rice and garnish with chives or green onions (if desired).