Tomato season has officially begun here in NC (thanks to greenhouses), and it’s something I literally count down to every season! Anytime someone says they don’t like tomatoes I always have to ask, “Have you ever tried anything other than a grocery store tomato?” The difference is night and day from the flavor and wonderfulness of the homegrown variety. Whether you grow some yourself or buy from your local farmers’ market this summer, I urge you to see for yourself exactly what I am talking about here!
Inspired by both my friend Valerie (who makes a pasta dish of her own with mozzarella and tomatoes) and Rachael Ray Magazine (that recently featured a green creamy pasta sauce), I couldn’t wait to throw together this mashup to create a super easy one-dish weeknight meal. This Tomato Basil Weeknight Pasta is an easy one to double, so if you have a bigger family or enjoy leftovers…I say, go for it! :)
Tomato Basil Weeknight Pasta
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine noodles
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish (if desired)
- 1/4 cup broth (chicken or veggie)
- 1/4 onion (quarter of one onion) peeled and roughly diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tomato diced
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella balls (small) sliced in half (usually sold floating in water)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a food processor blend together the basil, spinach, Parmesan, broth, onion, and garlic until smooth.
- Add the mixture to a large skillet, along with the cream, over medium heat. Cook while stirring until the mixture is heated through and thickens, 3 to 4 minutes. Toss in the cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes, mozzarella balls, salt, and pepper. Top with extra Parmesan (if using) and serve warm.