In the midst of holiday food and cookies galore, does anyone else feel like they could use a colorful salad right about now? This easy pesto salad would even be a great dish to bring along to your next potluck party, or a pretty addition to your holiday table this year. I served it with some simple cooked sauteed white fish, and we ended up putting the seafood right on top—it was a great combo! This would be great with grilled chicken or shrimp on top, as well. Whatever it takes to make sure we get enough greens this time of year!
Other Uses for Pesto
Pesto is one of my most favorite things to eat. I used to make it with all basil but found that the flavor is almost exactly the same when it’s made with half spinach—which I always seem to have on hand. There are all sorts of ways to use the pesto from this recipe besides just on a salad, such as:
- On crackers with sliced cheese
- Spread on a block of cream cheese and baked (for an appetizer)
- Used in place of tomato sauce on pizza
- As a spread on a sandwich (cold or grilled)
- Tossed in with fresh pasta
What’s your favorite way to use pesto?
White Bean & Pesto Salad
For the pesto
For the salad
- 5 cups fresh spinach leaves 5 or 6 cups (I used what was left in my box of spinach after making the pesto)
- 1 15 ounce can white cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato diced
- salt and pepper
- extra parmesan cheese shredded, for garnish
- Combine the basil, spinach, parmesan, pine nuts, garlic, and olive oil in a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Arrange the remaining spinach, beans, and tomato on a large platter. Add dollops of the pesto, season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parmesan and serve.