Here is the “makeover” monkey bread recipe I promised you! Inspired by a recipe from Food and Wine Magazine that called for almost 2 cups of added sugar (!!) resulting in 36 grams per serving, here is my makeover version that brings it down to about 10 grams of sugar per serving. Not to mention this one is also whole-grain and organic (if you choose). Still on the sweeter side for breakfast, but a big improvement in my opinion! So give this whole-wheat monkey bread recipe a try if you’re looking for something sweet (but not too sweet).
Whole-Wheat Monkey Bread (with a Cream Cheese Glaze)
Make the Dough
- Warm the milk (to between 100 and 110 degrees F) in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle in the yeast and sugar. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes until the yeast begins to foam up. (Working with yeast can take some practice, but it must foam up a little for your dough to rise properly.)
- Meanwhile, mix together the flour, butter, honey, eggs, and salt in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Slowly beat in the milk mixture until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover with a dish towel or plastic wrap and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Make the Filling
- Melt the butter, honey, and cinnamon together in a small saucepan. Whisk until smooth and remove from heat.
- Grease a 10-inch bundt pan and set aside.
- Cut the dough into golf ball sized pieces and roll each one into a ball. Roll the dough balls around in the filling mixture until well coated and then place in the bundt pan in overlapping layers. Drizzle remaining filling over top.
- Cover and let rise for another 30 min to 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool then set a plate or cake platter on top of the pan, and carefully flip over to invert.
Make the Glaze
- Whisk together the softened cream cheese, honey, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over top and serve.
Also, check out my cinnamon roll recipe here.