I love a lot of different foods, but let me tell you that this fajita recipe is right up there at the top. This is the kind of meal where you hear my husband and I “mmmming” and “aaahhhhing” at how good the flavor is the whole time we are eating. Anytime you cook with the freshest ingredients it is hard to go wrong, but I especially think the homemade tortillas are a big part of what makes this recipe so money. If you don’t want to invest the time to make the tortillas then I think store-bought corn tortillas are the best alternative. Unless you have a local bakery, it is really hard to find whole-wheat breads or tortillas from the grocery store without a bunch of junk in them. I did once try Ezekiel flour tortillas (which are made with sprouted grains and kept frozen at Earth Fare), and even though the ingredients were decent I didn’t feel the same way about the taste.
This recipe is another one of those that I like to call “flexible.” Even though we used bell peppers and mushrooms you could really throw in (or leave out) whatever you want into the mix. We are trying to be “flexitarians” so we didn’t include meat, but I am sure it would be great to add a breast of chicken or flank steak as well. Enjoy!
- 4 bell peppers, sliced (we used green bell and Anaheim peppers, but red or yellow would be great too)
- 2 onions, sliced
- ½ pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Serrano peppers, finely chopped (optional: we put ours on the side so our kids wouldn't think it was too spicy)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Essence
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot toss in the sliced onions and bell peppers.
- While those are cooking mix together the spices with the juice of 1 lime and 2 tablespoons of melted butter in a small bowl.
- Once the peppers and onions are starting to brown add the mushrooms and spice mixture. Cook for 3 – 5 more minutes and then serve with warm tortillas and other toppings of your choice.