This dish is super easy to throw together, and it’s definitely a crowd pleaser. Who doesn’t love Mexican food? It’s no secret that our family is a BIG fan and almost once a week we are sure to enjoy some south of the border fare like homemade refried beans, taco salad, pork carnitas, flank steak fajitas, vegetable quesadillas, homemade tortillas, or the like. And now we can add these “tostadas” to our repertoire!
Sponsor Shoutout: Brød & Taylor Folding Proofer
Before you start cooking though, if you are into homemade breads and yogurt (or want to learn!) then you should definitely know about our sponsor, Brød & Taylor. They offer a unique “Folding Proofer” appliance, which helps bread bakers control fermentation and rise temperatures so they can produce loaves with the best flavors. This applies to both traditional bread recipes and gluten-free ones as well. And with this very same appliance you can also make homemade yogurt – yum! Check out their step-by-step instructions to see how it works.
Now back to those tostadas…enjoy!
- 3 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken (slow cook, roast or boil it)
- 1½ cups freshly grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced (optional)
- 1½ limes
- 8 whole-grain 5″ to 6″ corn tortillas,
- homemade or store-bought (we recommend “Food for Life” brand in the freezer section)
- Recommended toppings: Sour cream, avocado and cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl thoroughly combine the chicken, cheese, water, spices, jalapeño (if using) and juice of 1 lime.
- On a large baking sheet (lined with foil for less mess) lay the tortillas out in one even layer. Depending on the size of your baking sheet you may need to bake these in two batches.
- Evenly distribute the chicken mixture on top of the 8 tortillas (the top layer should be about ½” tall) and bake until cheese begins to brown, about 12 to 13 minutes.
- Squeeze the remaining ½ lime on top of the cooked tostadas and serve warm with sour cream, diced avocado, and cilantro leaves.