Let’s face it – most kids love breakfast food any time of day! So why not send them off to school with breakfast for lunch? I’m excited to share some easy ideas with you today to help you think beyond the typical sandwich for school lunches this year.
How to Pack Breakfast for Lunch
- Quiche: Believe it or not, quiche is really good leftover and holds up well in the fridge. My kids gobble it up cold all the time (and so do I!)
– Leftover quiche (served cold – it’s good, I promise!)
– Whole grain banana bread
– Mixed berries
– Organic bacon (also served cold)
- Cinnamon Raisin Bread Sandwich + Granola: If you pair granola with yogurt and berries in the lunch box it’s your own portable parfait!
– Homemade granola
– Cinnamon raisin bread and cream cheese sandwich (from my book)
– Plain yogurt mixed with a little pure maple syrup and frozen pomegranate seeds
– Half a banana (in the peel)
- Breakfast Tacos: My whole family loves breakfast tacos, and they are super easy to send to school with a thermos keeping the scrambled eggs warm until lunch time (up to 5 hours).
– Scrambled eggs (served warm)
– Corn tortillas (in foil)
– Sour cream (topped with cilantro)
– Grated cheese
- Overnight Oats: Overnight oats is one of my 10-year-old’s favorite snacks, and if you have lunch boxes with leakproof compartments it’s great to send to school on occasion as well!
– Overnight oats
– Frozen green smoothie pop
– Hard boiled egg
– Diced melon
- Waffle Sandwich: The truth is it’s easier to make homemade whole-wheat waffles than it is homemade bread …so why not use them to make a sandwich in the lunch box? This is a big hit with little ones!
– Waffle sandwich with cream cheese and blueberry jam
– Trail mix with whole grain cereal
I hope these examples help keep you out of the PB&J rut this school year. I’d love to here your breakfast for lunch ideas in the comments below!
We handpick wonderful sponsors to help support the team that runs this blog so as always we love it when you show them some love! I want to give a quick shoutout to three of our healthy living sponsors this month.
- First of all, eMeals offers meal plans that include 7 weekly Clean Eating dinner recipes along with an organized grocery list for under 5 bucks a month.
- Secondly, LaLa Lunchbox is an ingenious little app that allows your kids to pick their favorite healthy foods by feeding it to a monster’s mouth and then turns those choices into a simple, easy to use grocery list for you.
- And lastly, My Green Mattress is a great company that offers made in the USA, non-toxic, chemical-free, organic cotton and wool mattresses. You can save $50 on any mattress through August 31st using coupon code 100DAYSRF.