Just in time for Valentine’s Day, I’ve got the perfect homemade treat for you (and the one you love)! These Peanut Butter Brownie Bars would also make a fun little treat to share with teachers and neighbors in honor of the upcoming “day of love,” especially if you’re me and you’ve made this recipe three times in the last week in order to get it just right. :) I can assure you though, the final outcome was worth the wait. It’s hard to beat that perfect combination of sweet chocolate and salty peanut butter! (Oh, and if you’re new here, FYI, the refined sugar in this recipe does break the rules, but it’s something we don’t mind in an occasional homemade treat now that our official 100-day pledge is over.)
Whole-Wheat Peanut Butter Brownie Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch square baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Make a well (hole) in the center and drop in the butter, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix together thoroughly and then fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula. Spread in one even layer on the bottom of the parchment-lined baking dish.
Peanut Butter Layer
- In another large bowl, mix together everything except the chocolate chips until thoroughly combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Carefully spread on top of the brownie layer in the baking dish. I find it's best to drop clumps in various locations on top of the brownie batter to help get an even spread without mixing the two together.
- Bake until golden brown on top, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool. Holding the parchment paper, lift out of the pan. Cut into squares and enjoy!