Welcome to the original “100 Days of Real Food” pledge page. The idea behind this series of posts is what inspired me to start this blog in the first place. From May through September 2010 our family of four—including our daughters who were ages 3 and 5 at the time – pledged to go 100 solid days without eating a single ounce of highly processed or refined food (that means no white flour or sugar!). You can find the exact guidelines we followed on our “real food” rules page.
We decided to take this pledge so we could draw attention to how much our society has become dependent on processed food. And even though it wasn’t easy at times we wanted to prove that a typical suburban family didn’t have to rely on packaged factory-made convenience foods on a daily basis.
We also wanted to experience what it would be like to seek out the real food in our processed food world, and let me tell you what it was definitely eye-opening! One of the things we quickly learned was that our “real food” desires made us the minority most of the time…especially here in North Carolina.
While eating real food has since become our “new normal,” I think it is very interesting to go back to the beginning and read along as we found our way!
Index of blog posts I wrote during our 2010 pledge:
- Day 1: Welcome to 100 Days of Real Food
- Day 3: Backyard BBQ and Modified Crepes
- Day 5: Chocolate and Mocha Cravings!
- Day 7: A Break From the Kitchen
- Day 9: The Donut Incident
- Day 10: Birthday Party and Business Travel
- Day 12: Bad Dreams and Eating Too Much
- Day 14: Grocery Shopping and a Disastrous Dinner
- Day 16: Candy and Fajitas (not at the same time)
- Day 18: Strike Two and Cuban Inspiration
- Day 20: Social Plans and Ravioli
- Day 23: Out to Lunch
- Day 25: Finally, Some Appreciation
- Day 28: Birthday Celebration & Impromptu Breakfast
- Day 30: Hodgepodge Dinner and Amazing Dessert!
- Day 33: Summer Camp and Oh-So-Good Pizza
- Day 35: Our Biggest Challenge Yet
- Day 39: Eating Away from Home
- Day 41: Family Support (or Lack Thereof)
- Day 43: Attempting Restaurant Food
- Day 45: Airport Food and Travel Back Home
- Day 47: Health Benefits
- Day 50: The Halfway Point!
- Day 52: A Sleepover and Hot Chocolate
- Day 56: A Brave Friend and Health Benefits Update
- Day 58: A Shocking Lunch and Substitute Cake
- Day 60: P.F. Chang’s and The Gum Controversy
- Day 62: Fried Rice (Take 2) & Snack Choices for Kids
- Day 64: My Husband Cooks and Another Big Trip!
- Day 67: A Broken Rule and Delicious NYC
- Day 70: Last Days of Trip and Our “Picky Eater” Traveling Companion
- Day 73: Mommy’s Weekend Away and Daddy Duty
- Day 75: A Makeshift Lunch and Surprise at the Grocery Store
- Day 78: Leftovers and a Vegan Lunch
- Day 81: Nineteen Days Left and Counting!
- Day 84: Breakfast and Kid Food
- Day 86: Dinner Club!
- Day 89: Eggplant and 10-Day Pledge Alternatives
- Day 92: Gumbo Flop and First School Lunch
- Day 94: Starbucks and Out to Lunch
- Day 98: An Amazing Dinner and the Final Countdown!
- Day 100: We Did It!!
- Post Pledge 1: The First Rule Breakers…
- Post Pledge 2: The Struggle
- Post Pledge 3: Some Decisions
- Post Pledge 4: The Truth and a Special Announcement
Also, check out:
- Our “100 Days of Real Food on a Budget” pledge where we spent only $125/week
- Our list of “Real Food Tips” that covers everything from food shopping to picky kids
- Our “10 Days of Real Food” pledge sign-up page where we challenge readers to follow our same real food rules for a shorter period of time
- My list of real food “Kitchen Essentials“