And of course, this recipe is also much better for you with only a few simple ingredients including whole-grain noodles. So go ahead and do the right thing by making the switch for your family…it’s better late than never!
Whole-Wheat Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 cups whole-wheat macaroni (boiled according to package directions)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheese grated (you can use any type of cheese…we usually use sharp white cheddar or a mix of different cheeses works well too)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese grated (optional topping)
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and keep whisking for about 1 – 2 minutes until the roux (which is equal parts flour and butter or oil) starts to darken, but does not burn.
- Turn the heat down to low and quickly whisk in the milk. Turn the heat back up to medium and keep whisking until the mixture starts to thicken and all lumps of flour are dissolved.
- Stir in the grated cheese and once it melts mix in the cooked noodles. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately and enjoy!