I’m always amazed by the simple things in life that you don’t think of on your own but make so much sense once you know about them! And that is exactly how I felt the first time I tried fresh herbs on a salad (at a restaurant). I love to grow and eat fresh herbs but never even considered adding them to a green salad for some extra flavor. So (now that I know better!), I added some thyme to this Spinach Salad recipe below, and it was a fabulous addition. Some other tender herbs to experiment with on your salads are tarragon, dill, parsley, basil, and mint. Enjoy!
Sponsor Shoutout: Hilary’s Eat Well
Even though salad is usually something that’s healthy to eat, finding a good-for-you pre-made dressing to go with it is (unfortunately) not always easy to do. So I was excited when Hilary’s Eat Well reached out to us, and I saw that – in addition to their frozen veggie burgers – they have a decent selection of bottled salad dressings that won’t go and muck up what would have been a perfectly healthy meal. We personally loved the Balsamic Thyme on this particular salad, and we all agreed that it’s the next best thing to have on hand when you just can’t make your own from scratch!
- 5 ounces fresh spinach leaves (5 or 6 loosely packed cups)
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 5 or 6 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
- Vinaigrette of choice (I used Hilary's Eat Well Brand)
- Arrange the spinach on a large platter.
- Top with walnuts, avocado, shallot, and thyme.
- Serve with vinaigrette on the side.