I’ve got a totally new spin on “milk and cereal” that will definitely kick things up a notch! A few notches actually. During this wonderful time of year when strawberry season has officially begun and my winter veggie garden (that’s full of kale and other greens) hasn’t quite given up yet, these strawberry and kale smoothie bowls are the perfect good-for-you way to start the day! They also make a great afternoon snack as well.
For those in the Charlotte area, our favorite strawberry picking place is Wise Acres Organic Farm. Strawberries are #1 on the dirty dozen list, so I love that we have a great organic option for local berries around here! Has anyone else been picking yet this season? Share your favorite place to go in the comments (along with where you live). :)
Strawberry and Kale Smoothie Bowl
- 2 cups kale big stems removed
- 2 cups strawberries fresh or frozen or a combo
- 4 frozen bananas peel before freezing, the riper they are the sweeter they'll be
- 1 cup milk or more (see note at end of recipe)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Blend kale, strawberries, and bananas until smooth.
- Toast the oats and coconut in a dry skillet over medium-low heat until the coconut begins to turn golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide the smoothie into bowls, top with the oats and coconut, and serve with spoons.