School is back in session for many, and I’d love to encourage parents (and kids!) to “Think Outside The Sandwich” when it comes to packing school lunches. I know PB&J or Ham and Cheese is predictable and easy, but eating a variety of real food is important. And there truly are so many more options when you put you mind to it. So today I am sharing 4 ideas that I presented on the Charlotte Today show last week – several of which are recipes that will be in my upcoming cookbook (out a week from today)!
I’d love for you to share your non-sandwich lunch ideas in the comments below.
Here’s a summary of the school lunches I shared on TV:
- Thermos and Lunchbots containers used
- Slow cooker potato soup (recipe in my cookbook)
- Organic cheese and Applegate bacon to go on top of soup
- “Ants on a log” (peanut butter and raisins on celery – can use a nut butter alternative)
- Apples (I don’t do anything to keep them from turning brown – check out #2 on this page to see why)
Oh and if you want to see more about what I did with the apple at the end of the video clip …check out my apple sandwich tutorial!
My kids don’t start school until next week, so when I got home from sharing these lunches on the show my girls didn’t waste any time digging in. Looks like they are kid-approved options! :)