I go through phases feeling like I need to eat more salads and veggies. If they aren’t very interesting or flavorful—which requires effort!—I’m often just not that into it. And, especially when I’m making a big main dish, there’s sometimes no effort left to do something exciting with lettuce or a vegetable on the side.
So, that’s why I’m sharing this new super tasty salad recipe that is hearty enough to be served for dinner. Put all your energy into this one dish and you don’t have to worry about making a separate veggie side to go with it! The perfect mid-week pick-me-up that can even be modified for any vegetarians in the house.
Other Hearty Salads You Might Enjoy
- Chopped Salad
- Cobb Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
- Warm Breaded Goat Cheese & Beet Salad with an Orange Dressing
- Cauliflower & Pomegranate Salad with Yogurt Dressing
Warm Bistro Salad with Feta
For the dressing
For the potatoes, bacon, mushrooms, and salad
- 8 ounces baby potatoes washed, dried, and sliced in half
- 3 pieces bacon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms baby Bella or similar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 head red leaf lettuce (or similar), washed and chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)
For the dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a jar and set aside.
For the potatoes and bacon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the sliced potatoes on half of a baking sheet. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper. Make a foil tray with sides on the other half of the baking sheet and lay the pieces of bacon inside (to contain the grease).
- After about 15 minutes, if the bacon has browned and cooked (no longer pink) carefully remove the foil tray (without spilling the hot grease!) and place the potatoes back in the oven until tender when pierced with a fork, another 5 or 10 minutes. Crumble the bacon when it's cool enough to handle and set aside.
For the mushrooms
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the sliced red onion and cook while stirring occasionally until it begins to soften and brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and then begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in oregano, season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
For the salad
- Arrange the chopped lettuce on a large platter. Sprinkle the ingredients over top including the potatoes, bacon, mushrooms, remaining raw onion, eggs, and feta. Season with salt and pepper. Vigorously shake dressing to emulsify, drizzle over top, and serve.