I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving and time with family today. Before we know it we will be on to those tasty leftovers! I am sure I’m not the only one who tries to be creative with all that turkey we couldn’t finish so here are some ideas to consider:
- Make “Turkey Noodle Soup” instead of “Chicken Noodle Soup” (pictured below) and freeze the leftovers. Here is a recipe to get you started (just sub turkey for the chicken): http://100daysofrealfood.flywheelsites.com/2011/10/05/recipe-homemade-chicken-noodle-soup/
- Make “Turkey Terrific Sandwiches” inspired by a sandwich shop on Nantucket Island called Provisions. All it takes is some good whole-wheat bread, a little mayo, stuffing, turkey, and the optional cranberry sauce to make one good sandwich. Another great sandwich option would be turkey, brie, and a quick apple chutney…yum!
- Make homemade turkey stock with the bones…just like you do with leftover chicken bones/parts. This would be the perfect starting point for your “Turkey Noodle Soup” as mentioned above or for other dishes that call for chicken broth/stock. Here are the details on “The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot” recipe: http://100daysofrealfood.flywheelsites.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/
- Freeze batches of the cooked turkey meat for sandwiches or recipes on another day using either zip lock bags or other freezer-safe containers.
- Sub turkey for cooked chicken/meat (or just add it to the veggies in vegetarian dishes) in some of your favorite recipes including…
If you have any additional suggestions for turkey leftovers please leave them in the comments below!