This healthy zucchini bread is not only nutritious, but also incredibly soft, airy, and bursting with delicious flavors! It is a great way to use your garden’s fresh zucchini. Although it is made with wholesome ingredients, this quick bread tastes warm and cozy. The zucchini adds just the right level of moisture, while the chocolate chips contribute a delightful hint of sweetness. Quick and simple to make, this zucchini bread is beloved by all!
Want to Save this Recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This healthy zucchini bread is moist and soft!
- The flavors are warm, naturally sweet, and delicious.
- This is a great way to get kids to eat more veggies.
- Perfect for using up garden fresh zucchini!
- Only one mixing bowl is required.
- There is no white flour or white sugar. This Paleo Bread and this Healthy Pumpkin Bread are other healthy options.
- Great for breakfast or dessert!
- Pair it with coffee or tea for an afternoon snack.
- This recipe is Paleo-friendly, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and contains only a little added sugar.
- If you omit the chocolate chips, this recipe contains only coconut sugar.
- Great for those with food allergies, intolerances, different diets, and healthy lifestyles.
- Check out this Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread for another delicious recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutes
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full healthy zucchini bread recipe!
Paleo baking flour is a great option for healthy baking! It is made of almond flour, arrowroot starch, coconut flour, and tapioca flour. This unique blend of flour works as a replacement for white flour. If you are not gluten-free, feel free to use whole wheat flour.
Sea salt helps balance out the natural sweetness.
Baking soda will help this bread rise in the oven.
Coconut sugar is one of our favorite healthy sweeteners! Unlike white sugar, it is unrefined and not overly processed.
Melted coconut oil acts as the baking fat. We love that coconut oil is dairy-free and made from just coconut! Unrefined coconut oil has a slight coconut flavor. On the other hand, refined coconut oil is neutrally flavored.
Eggs contribute to the light and fluffy texture. Do not use flax eggs or vegan eggs in this recipe.
A little vanilla extract adds a delicious homemade flavor.
Lastly, chocolate chips add the chocolaty flavor! We love Enjoy Life chocolate chips, but they do contain some added sugar.
All About Zucchini
- Zucchini, also known as courgette, is a popular summer squash that thrives during its peak season. It is typically in season from late spring to early fall.
- During this time, zucchini is abundant in farmer’s markets, grocery stores, and home gardens, offering a versatile and nutritious addition to summer dishes.
- With its mild, slightly sweet flavor and tender texture, zucchini serves as an excellent base for various recipes, from savory to sweet.
- One of the significant health benefits of zucchini lies in its low-calorie content, making it an ideal choice for weight-conscious individuals.
- Zucchini is rich in essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, and manganese, contributing to overall well-being and immune support.
- Being a great source of dietary fiber, zucchini aids in digestion and helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
- The high water content in zucchini helps to keep the body hydrated, especially during hot summer months.
- This summer squash contains antioxidants like carotenoids and lutein, which are beneficial for eye health.
- Grilled, roasted, sautéed, or even spiralized into zoodles, zucchini is versatile.
Taste & Texture
This wholesome healthy zucchini bread has a natural sweetness. There are no traces of zucchini or vegetable taste. The addition of chocolate chips brings a delightful burst of flavor!
This quick bread is soft, airy, and moist. The zucchini adds moisture. The texture is similar to banana bread or carrot cake.
How to Make
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a standard bread pan with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the Paleo baking flour, sea salt, baking soda, and coconut sugar.
Then, add in the grated zucchini, melted coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir together.
Add in the mini chocolate chips. Stir together.
Transfer the batter to the parchment-lined bread pan. If desired, sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove the healthy zucchini bread from the oven. Fully cool. Then, slice and serve!
Expert Tips for Success
Finely grate zucchini. Use the smallest holes on a cheese grater. Avoid large chunks of zucchini.
No need to peel the zucchini before grating.
Check your bread after 45 minutes. It may be done at that point. All ovens are slightly different.
Insert a toothpick into the center of the baked bread. If it comes out clean, the bread is done.
Allow the healthy zucchini bread to fully cool before slicing.
Flavor Variations & Add-Ins
This healthy zucchini bread is versatile. Here are some fun ideas for additional ingredients.
Add in some dried cranberries or raisins. These add a touch of natural sweetness.
For extra crunch, try adding in some walnuts or pecans.
Add in some blueberries or raspberries for a burst of freshness.
How to Serve & Store
Serve this healthy zucchini bread once fully cooled.
It is great by itself or part of your breakfast.
Serve alongside bacon, scrambled eggs, or fresh fruit for breakfast.
Spread some peanut butter or almond butter on top!
Store this healthy zucchini bread at room temperature in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes! This healthy zucchini bread is kid approved and picky eater approved. It is a great way to get kids to eat more vegetables.
No, this bread does not taste like zucchini. It is similar to carrot cake, which does not taste like carrots.
If you are not gluten free, you can use whole wheat flour.
Insert a toothpick into the bread. If it comes out clean, the bread is done baking. If it comes out with raw batter, the bread needs to bake longer.
Bread Pan: This is the bread loaf pan we use all the time!
Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Sheets: Use parchment paper to line the bread pan for easy removal.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These glass mixing bowls are durable and easy to clean.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: Use these glass measuring cups for measuring out the ingredients.
Grater: Use this grater to finely grate the zucchini.
You May Also Enjoy
- Whole Wheat Cinnamon Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Homemade Banana Pudding
If you enjoyed this healthy zucchini bread recipe, please leave a rating and comment! For more inspiration, check out my Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. For 5 free weekly meal plans and more free resources, sign up to receive my free newsletter! Check out these Breakfast Recipes for more delicious recipes.
Enjoy this healthy zucchini bread recipe!